November 2017  
SMTWTFS
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
     
Today's Events
NOV

20

MON
Thanksgiving Break
School out, no Wed. activities
Bible Search

The Methodist Church began a presence in the Durant area when the 1844 General Conference created the Indian Mission Conference. Methodist missionaries had accompanied Native Americans along the Trail of Tears.

First United Methodist Church began in 1890 at the Annual Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South held in Muskogee October 22-26, 1890.  J.W. Davis was appointed to the Durant Circuit.  The first place of worship in Durant was northeast of Highland Cemetery.  In 1893, the Methodist Episcopal Church was built on the south side of Main Street between Second and Third Avenues and in 1896 the building was moved to the south side of West Evergreen between Third and Fourth Avenues.  In 1901, that building was sold and the current church lot was purchased.  In 1902, the second church was erected but destroyed by fire in 1921.  The present church was built as money became available, with construction beginning in May 1923.  Over the years, many renovations have taken place to ensure that the building serves the ministry of FUMC.

With great vision, FUMC purchased 22 acres on west Highway 70 and is currently in process of raising funds to construct a new church facility to further enhance the ministry opportunities.  The church has seen steady growth since 2004, and is currently averaging 233 in worship, representing a 62% growth!  The congregation strives to enact its mission statement:  To be the head, the heart, the hands of Christ.

Contents © 2017 First United Methodist Church Durant and Caddo | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy